Welcome to the canton of Basel-Stadt
As we continue our quest to find beautiful artisan cheeses in Switzerland, we challenged ourselves to find cheese made and sold in Basel-Stadt.
Not only did we find it, but we’re sharing something fabulous with you!
Travel with us to the heart of Basel-Stadt and discover the hidden gem of artisanal cheese making in the heart of this great city.
Our Discoveries in Basel-Stadt
Overview of the Canton
Land Area: 36.95 km2
Population: 199 950 habitants (August 2018)
Admission to the Swiss Confederation: 1501 (as Basel until 1833/1999)
Language: Swiss German
Discover Basel – Top 5 Events
It’s no wonder that a canton like Basel-Stadt is the first in Switzerland to have an urban cheese factory. The people here have an amazing and fascinating culture, and it’s a dynamic place that’s open to the unexpected.
Mark your calendars and experience the most important cultural events in Basel this year!
- Art Basel: June 13 – 16, 2019 – The world’s largest art fair with over 300 galleries of modern and contemporary art.
- Basel Tattoo: July 12 – 20, 2019 – Music and dance event featuring artists from around the world, including bagpipes, marching bands and dance troupes.
- Swiss Indoors: October 19 – 27, 2019 – The nation’s largest sporting event hosting a tournament of the world’s best tennis players prior to their participation in the World Championships.
- Fasnacht: March 2 – 4, 2020 – Basel’s carnival is an integral part of the city’s culture and is also part of UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage.
- Basel World: April 30 – May 5, 2020 – The world’s leading trade fair for watches, jewelry and precious stones.